Make a splash at the zoo! Certified SCUBA divers are invited to support marine life keepers with diving tasks in the marine area.
Are you a certified SCUBA diver with at least three hours a week to devote to the zoo? Dive right into a supportive, stimulating and fun workplace. Work closely with zoo keepers in the care of habitats. Among the many zoo animals that benefit from zoo diver participation are Harbor seals, sea otters and a variety of Northwest fish and invertebrates.
Divers must be at least 18 years old and:
- provide proof of certification and a log of a minimum of 40 dives
- proof of current First Aid/CPR/AED certification
- complete the volunteer dive packet, which includes a criminal background check
- attend an orientation session
- demonstrate proficiency listed in the Oregon Zoo checkout and training evaluation.
Volunteers are expected to make a three-hour per week time commitment to the program with absence notification at least 24 hours in advance. All volunteer divers will receive tender training and a dive assessment at the start of their commitment. Roles will vary between tending and diving.
How to apply
We are not currently recruiting volunteer divers.